Sunday, October 2, 2011

As simple as black and white

The white prints on the black dress are hand-painted. I don't know if it would last long. At least its not rubbing off. The dress has some simplicity to it but I wanted to emphasize the small waist more so I added a modern obi belt.

I finished two more dresses, now in black and white. If you're wondering why I keep doing dresses one after the other, it is because I'm trying to control my temptation in buying more dolls. I have beautiful dolls and their beauty would go to waste if I don't play with them. Plus, most of the newer dolls are just another version of older ones. I try not to be redundant unless I'm emphasizing a point.


The white dress was inspired by the black and white gown Audrey Hepburn wore in the movie Sabrina. I cannot do embroidery so I resorted to appliques. I cut out some designs from a black lace and sewed it on the white dress.

(The dolls in the photo are repainted and restyled clone Barbie heads on Dynamite Girls body.)

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

Those are both beautiful! If you get bored with sewing for your dolls, you can sew for mine.

Ms. Leo said...

Wow! These are great! I especially love the white and black one! I love the Sabrina movie!

Niel Camhalla said...

Thank Van. Hahaha. I don't think I will be bored sewing for dolls. It's just that there are a lot of things to do and just like you, finding the time is an obstacle.

Thanks Ms Leo. I love that movie, too. I keep telling myself for the longest time that someday I'm gonna make my mini version of that white embroidered white gown Sabrina/Audrey wore. Someday... :D

---------

I forgot to add, the black dress was inspired by an entry in Project Runway (season 2), the one with leaves on it (hence the hand painted leaves on mine).

This dress:
http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/2007/04/chloe-lettuce-pray-2.html