Monday, September 26, 2011

Rainbow's End

I thought I had completed my Rainbow Collection but after the last dress, I had this urge to do another piece but this time having all the colors of the rainbow. I initially planned to make a tiered short skirt but upon checking my fabric stash, I seemed to misplace my yellow fabric. Lucky I found another way:  I could dye/draw/paint the design on a white fabric! I did this with the help of Pentel's Fabricfun dye stick.


I first copied the pattern lines to the fabric. I didn't want to waste the dye stick so I only colored the parts that's going to end up on the outfit. Another detail that I labored in is the french seam. It's silly to have this kind of blouse to be lined so I'd better treat the edges. I don't have an edging machine. I could burn the edge to keep it from fraying but the (oil in the) dye made the fabric to burn easily. I had no choice but to make a french seam if I wanted this blouse to look clean inside-out.


But it didn't look clean as I wanted. Even though the dye have been properly set by ironing, some dye rubbed off on the white parts of the blouse especially the collar. The lighting didn't make it visible but the stain is there. Hmmm... maybe I could color it white again! I'll try that later.

For now, here are a couple of pics of the final dress for the rainbow collection. I was thinking of something one can wear to work when I made this blouse and skirt. The tandem looks too costume-y but fun nonetheless which rainbows are supposed to be. Maybe they would look "normal" if mixed and matched with a neutral pants or shirt. 


4 comments:

D7ana said...

Wow. Love this latest addition - it seems to sum up and to pull together all the previous dresses.

I have a bottle of a fabric glue stuff that is supposed to stop fraying. Forgot what it is called and, of course, I cannot lay my hands on it. Wonder if that works ... I've been saving if for that miracle day when I sew something. Sigh.

Niel Camhalla said...

Thanks Dana. I heard about that from. Fray Stop, I think. Unfortunately, it's not available here, I think.

Vanessa said...

Love the new outfit! Very creative way to color the fabric. Fray Check is the name of the fray stop stuff. However, it doesn't finish a seam professionally, if that is your intent. Doesn't matter much since you can't buy it locally.

Niel Camhalla said...

Thanks Van. We make do with what we get. :)