Friday, December 3, 2010

Liz

I don't pretend to be an ordinary housewife. - Elizabeth Taylor

Just to make it clear, I'm not really a Liz Taylor fan but I do appreciate her beauty which was attempted to be captured in some Barbie dolls. I know little about her. I didn't even know she had a beauty mark on her right cheek (near the jaw line) which was reflected in the doll. I initially though it was a speck of dirt or paint and I was ready to erase it. Luckily, I searched for other pictures and found out that she indeed had a beauty mark.

Being one of the few Barbie dolls with a face that resembles the actual person, I couldn't resist the beauty of the doll so I was watching out for her on eBay for weeks and finally I was able to get her at a reasonable price. I waited for someone to sell her out of the box since NRFB dolls can cost up to 5x more. I'm a deboxer anyway.

Having no back ground on her, I decided to watch Butterfield 8 (which was just laying around with the pile of disc in the house). The slip dress below and the fur coat above, although have the wrong design altogether, can still help capture her vibe from that movie. (Well maybe not the poses below... She's just enjoying her new found articulation.)


Evidently I have rebodied her using a body similar to the Modern Circle Barbie body. (Is there a shorter name for that?) I already forgot what doll the body originally was since I used so many heads on it. I wanted to give Liz ample articulation but I didn't want her to look starved so the Pivotal body is not an option. Even though I don't have an FR, I never considered the body since they are too tall for the dame (or my taste) who was supposed to stand 5'2". I'm still on the look out for better body for her.


Being a relatively new collector, I have a long list of old (not necessarily vintage) dolls I wanted. I'm still waiting to my hands on Diana Ross and Audrey Hepburn dolls (although I think the Audrey doll looks too cartoon-ish). Good thing there's not much exciting Barbie dolls for next year, except maybe for one or two Barbie Basics and maybe the Ken repro. I can align my budget for older dolls that have classic timeless beauty.

6 comments:

Alrunia said...

I had the same problem with my Liz, mine is still on her stiff body. She does look good on the body you put her on :D

Niel Camhalla said...

Thank you. I was just lucky to find that body from the thrift a couple of years ago and I held on to it. :)

Ms. Leo said...

I now find myself on the hunt for articulation bodies...is that wrong? I love that some of my dolls can be more expressive with movement.

Finding the right complexion is a challenge but it is worth it! It is like having a new doll. There are sooo many more possibilities now, more pictures to be taken with big or subtitle movements!

She looks great. Like her hands too! She doesn’t have all the fingers stuck together. I have looked at some FR dolls but the bodies are way too skinny! The clothes are fab! I wound how they would fit on your new Liz.

I how have a box of old bodies! :)

D7ana said...

Liz never looked better, Niel! Love to see her articulated. I soo want to get more of my dolls pose-able now ;-D

Good luck getting the other dolls on your wish list.

El Gato Negro said...

I know what you mean about being a new collector and wanting to have the older dolls.

I was happy enough to have found a James Dean Ken doll for sale on ebay. He was pricey but since he was one of the dolls I really wanted to have I bought him.

I was so happy 'cos I thought I'd never see one here. Then I saw one at Matto's house. Hahahaha. But at least I have one of my own. :D

Niel Camhalla said...

Thanks Ms Leo. The hands were modified. Before and after photos of the hand are posted here: http://1-6thsensedolls.blogspot.com/2009/06/reshaping-barbies-hands.html

Hi Dana. I ( and I guess you and Ms Leo, too) wish Mattel would produce more articulated dolls. Or at least make the Fasionistas series with a wide range of skin tone. :)

Hi Eli. James Dean is on my wish list, too, but is on the low priority side. According to Mat'to, they didn't used to sell celebrity dolls here. He had to request friends from abroad to buy one for him. The earliest celebrity dolls to be sold locally are the Destiny's Child dolls which are fairly recent. Hopefully they continue to realize that there's a market here.